Central Illinois Agency on Aging’s association with Prairie State Legal Services began about 35 years ago.
Prairie State Legal Services is engaged in the legal defense of lower-income individuals and seniors over 60 who are embroiled in serious civil litigations and do not have the resources to defend themselves. Some examples of services Prairie State offers to the senior population include:
- Denials/terminations of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, Medicaid, or other government entitlements.
- Financial exploitation or abuse of the elderly or persons with disabilities
- Problems associated with nursing home care or paying for nursing home care.
- Elder abuse cases, specifically matters involving the physical safety of the client.
- Eviction and termination of government-subsidized housing.
Legal services are offered through Prairie State’s offices and through Prairie State’s Older Adult Legal Assistance Helpline.